George Mason University Administrative Assistant and Events Coordinator in Fairfax, Virginia
**Administrative Assistant and Events Coordinator
Sid & Reva Dewberry Department of Civil, Environmental & Infrastructure Engineering**
The George Mason University Sid & Reva Dewberry Department of Civil, Environmental & Infrastructure Engineering (CEIE) is seeking an enthusiastic, detail-oriented Administrative Assistant. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
This position will report to the CEIE Department Chair. The incumbent’s primary duties entail a full range of administrative office support responsibilities including, but not limited to:
- Managing the Department Chair’s calendar (meetings, events, and travel);
- Faculty support—preparing course materials, submitting work orders, resolving Blackboard and IT issues, and adopting and ordering textbooks;
- Interacting with students and guests;
- Providing high-quality general administration;
- Performing routine office management (e.g., answering phones and directing queries, managing electronic communication, sorting/sending department’s mail, and maintaining confidential files);
- Assisting with special projects and CEIE events; including, but not limited to:
- Scheduling appropriate space and confirm with user;
- Coordinate with University Events and other Mason departments as necessary;
- Create and post directional signs/banners for events;
- Prepare slide-show presentations;
- Provide on-site logistical support as necessary;
- Create and distribute promotional materials for CEIE sponsored events;
- Manage CEIE’s mailing lists; and
- Promote events on social media platforms.
- Other business related tasks.
- Experience working in a fast-paced office setting;
- Ability to manage competing priorities in demanding environment;
- Strong computer proficiency, especially in Microsoft Office suite (PowerPoint and Word);
- Experience communicating and interacting with constituents at diverse levels within an organization;
- Ability to initiate, plan, schedule and manage multiple events simultaneously;
- Ability to plan for and coordinate logistical needs including University Events, Mason Facilities, Parking Services, food and beverage providers, etc.;
- Ability to communicate professionally and effectively both orally and in writing;
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment;
- Must be extremely detail-oriented with the ability to prioritize multiple projects;
- Experience using social media platforms.
- Associate’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience; and
- Experience in a higher education setting.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/ for position WG2679; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
Mason Ad Statement
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Department: Civil, Environmental & Infrastructure Engineering
Criminal Background Check: Standard Background Check
Motor Vehicle Background Check: No
Job Category: Student Wage / Non-Student Wage
Role (State) Job Title: Administrative Assistant and Events Coordinator
Working Title: Administrative Assistant and Events Coordinator
Job Type: Part-Time
Position Number: WG2679
Recruit Number: Staff - 8691
Location: Fairfax, VA
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience.
For Full Consideration, Apply by: May 30, 2018
Posting Date: 05/11/2018
Open Until Filled?: Yes
Campus Safety Information: Mason’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at http://police.gmu.edu/annual-security-report/